Israel-Palestine escalation live: Gaza under bombardment after Hamas attack
Video Duration 00 minutes 52 seconds00:52
Published On 7 Oct 20237 Oct 2023
Click here to share on social media
- Medical sources in Gaza say at least 198 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli air attacks launched after a Hamas offensive against Israel that killed at least 100.
- The group running the besieged enclave said its surprise, large-scale operation was in response to the desecration of Al-Aqsa Mosque and increased settler violence.
159 UpdatesAuto updates
- 3m ago (16:37 GMT)Opposition leader Lapid says ready to form emergency government: CorrespondentLapid has said he is will to create an emergency government with Netanyahu to convey a unified front, Al Jazeera’s Sara Khairat has reported from occupied East Jerusalem.“Lapid has come out saying, now is not the time to to be asking questions on who is to blame,” Khairat said. “He says it’s a time for unity.”The escalation comes following months of Israeli protests against proposed judicial reforms under Netanyahu, Khairat added.Click here to share on social media
- 13m ago (16:27 GMT)Israeli officials confirm 100 deadIsrael’s rescue agency has confirmed that at least 100 Israelis have been killed in the surprise attacks by Hamas fighters in southern Israel.As we’ve mentioned before, the figure had been widely reported by Israeli media.Click here to share on social media
- 16m ago (16:24 GMT)Three Palestinians killed in West Bank, settler attacks on the riseThree Palestinians have been killed in the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian Ministry of Health says.In the meantime, settler attacks have increased, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said.A Red Crescent spokesman said that attacks took place in:
- Khirbet Yanoun, close to Aqraba, south of Nablus City, where four people were injured
- Yasouf, east of Salfit, where six were injured by live ammunition, one man was stabbed by a settler, and 25 were treated for tear gas inhalation
- Qasra, south of Nablus, where one person was shot by live ammunition, and attacks are continuing
- Huwara, where an ambulance medical team was attacked
- 25m ago (16:15 GMT)Israel has history of striking towers in GazaIsrael has a history of launching attacks on residential buildings or towers, which pepper the densely populated Gaza Strip.The Israeli army calls them “precision strikes” aimed at armed groups, but the attacks are often made on heavily populated areas, and have also led to the death of civilians.In May 2023, at least 12 civilians were killed by such Israeli attacks during five days of fighting between Israel and Islamic Jihad, according to the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights.In an 11-day war on Gaza in 2021, Israel hit four towers, destroying three of them; one had housed some of the world’s leading news media organisations, including Al Jazeera and The Associated Press (you can read more about this here).Amnesty International has said that Israel’s pattern of attacks on residential homes in Gaza displayed a disregard for the lives of Palestinian civilians and could amount to war crimes or crimes against humanity.On May 15, 2021, Israel destroyed the building housing the Al Jazeera offices in Gaza [File: Ashraf Abu Amrah?Reuters]Click here to share on social mediaAdvertisement
- 31m ago (16:09 GMT)RECAP: Let’s bring you the latest
- Israel’s military says fighting is ongoing at 22 locations near the Gaza-Israel divide.
- An Israeli attack on a high-rise building in crowded Gaza City was captured during an Al Jazeera English live shot.
- Israel says Israeli soldiers and civilians have been taken captive, with Netanyahu saying, “We are at war and we will win.”
- Health authorities say at least 198 Palestinians have been killed in raids on Gaza, while Israeli authorities say at least 70 Israelis have been killed in the Hamas attacks.
- Analysts say the nature of the Hamas attacks on Israel are without precedent in recent years, and could transform the landscape of the entrenched conflict.
- 35m ago (16:05 GMT)Europe ‘firmly blaming’ Hamas: AJ diplomatic editorEuropean leaders, including those of the UK and Germany, are all blaming Hamas for the ongoing fighting, Al Jazeera’s Diplomatic Editor James Bays is reporting from London.“They are making very similar statements and language that you have heard from US President Joe Biden. They are firmly blaming Hamas for this attack,” he said. “Although I can tell you it’s a little bit more nuanced behind the scenes.”“I’ve been speaking to a number of senior diplomats … and there’s been for months considerable disquiet about the right-wing government in Israel, and some of its actions towards the Palestinians. But none of this context is included in the statements today,” Bays said.The aftermath of a mass infiltration by Hamas gunmen from the Gaza Strip, in the Sderot area, southern Israel October 7, 2023 [Ammar Awad/Reuters]Click here to share on social media
- 47m ago (15:52 GMT)33 Palestinians injured by Israeli forces in occupied West BankThe Palestinian Red Crescent (PRC) says that by 6pm local time (15:00 GMT), its teams had taken 33 injured people from the occupied West Bank, including occupied East Jerusalem, to hospital.A spokesperson for the PRC said, “Fourteen were injured by live ammunition in the head in el-Bireh [near Ramallah], six were hit by rubber bullets, eight were taken to hospital for tear gas inhalation, three were hit by shrapnel, and two were physically beaten by Israeli soldiers.”Click here to share on social media
- 48m ago (15:52 GMT)UN Security Council to meet SundayThe United Nations Security Council is set to meet on Sunday in the wake of the Hamas attacks and continuing Israeli bombardment of Gaza.UN chief Antonio Guterres condemned the attack by Hamas and urged “all diplomatic efforts to avoid a wider conflagration”, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.“The Secretary-General is deeply concerned for the civilian population and urges maximum restraint. Civilians must be respected and protected in accordance with international humanitarian law at all times,” Dujarric said.Click here to share on social media
- 51m ago (15:49 GMT)Biden pledges ‘all appropriate means of support’ to IsraelBiden told Netanyahu that Washington was ready to provide “all appropriate means of support” amid the attacks on Israel and the continuing Israeli bombardment of Gaza.“Israel has a right to defend itself and its people. The United States warns against any other party hostile to Israel seeking advantage in this situation,” Biden said.The Israeli prime minister’s office had previously said Biden had called Netanyahu, saying that a “forceful, prolonged campaign” was necessary.Click here to share on social mediaAdvertisement
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA
https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/core/bridge3.594.0_en.html#goog_84181126Top StoriesREAD MOREHamas says it has enoughIsraeli captives to free all Palestinian prisoners
- World reaction to surprise attack by Palestinian Hamas on IsraelInternational response after Hamas launches the biggest attack on Israel in decades with hostages taken and many killed.Published On 7 Oct 20237 Oct 2023
- Why the Palestinian group Hamas launched an attack on Israel? All to knowDozens killed, hundreds injured after Hamas sends rockets, fighters in to Israel, which has started bombing Gaza.Published On 7 Oct 20237 Oct 2023
- Scenes from Hamas’s morning rocket attack on IsraelAir raid sirens wail across southern and central Israel, with the army urging people to stay near bomb shelters.Published On 7 Oct 20237 Oct 2023
- Israel retaliation kills nearly 200 Palestinians after Hamas operationIsraeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tells his shocked nation: ‘Citizens of Israel, we are at war.’Published On 7 Oct 20237 Oct 2023
MORE FROM NEWS
- Hamas says it has enough Israeli captives to free all Palestinian prisoners
- Photos: Aftermath of the attacks on Israel in Ashkelon
- Hosts India open Cricket World Cup quest with blockbuster against Australia
- Photos: Israel army launches air attacks on Gaza
- ‘They miscalculated’: Ukraine turns the tables on Russia’s Black Sea Fleet
- Israeli settlers storm Al-Aqsa Mosque complex on fifth day of Sukkot
- Our Channels
- Our Network
Follow Al Jazeera English:
© 2023 Al Jazeera Media Network
You rely on Al Jazeera for truth and transparency