Geico to lay off 6 percent of workforce nationwide, internal letter confirms
BY ADAM GORSKI – 10/20/23 9:20 PM ET
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Geico is cutting its total workforce by 6%, laying off roughly 2,000 of its employees as of Thursday, according to a letter from the auto insurance company’s CEO.
“This very difficult decision was not taken lightly. We recognize we’re saying goodbye to beloved colleagues and friends, and as a leadership team we are committed to supporting those affected in the days ahead,” CEO Todd Combs wrote in the letter, which was obtained by Nexstar’s WIVB.
Combs said he hopes to “better position [Geico] for long-term profitability and growth.”
Those affected by the sudden decision to let employees go will be contacted Thursday, according to the letter.Is your company planning layoffs, closures? Many states let you check
The letter did not provide specific reasons for Thursday’s layoffs, but Combs did say inflation, prolonged turnaround for repairs (due to staffing or supply shortages) and “rising medical costs” had recently posed challenges for the company.
“Despite these historic challenges, we have made great progress in returning
GEICO to profitability and establishing a foundation for growth while increasing
our agility and strength in the long term,” Combs wrote.
The company, however, still needs to “adapt” and “stay competitive,” he later wrote.
Combs pledged to offer career transition assistance to workers that were let go. Employees affected by the layoffs will also be able to apply for other open positions within the company, he said.
In addition to news of the layoffs, the letter also informed remote and hybrid employees that Geico will be requiring workers to increase their number of “in-office days.”
“We understand that additional time in the office is a shift from what has been the practice across most companies and industries these past few years,” said Combs, who added that the new policy will be fully implemented come January.TAGS GEICO LAYOFFS
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Business News
BY NICK ROBERTSON1 DAY AGO
BY RUSSELL FALCON1 DAY AGO
BY RYAN MENSE1 DAY AGO
BY LAUREN IRWIN2 DAYS AGO
BY THEHILL.COM10/20/23 11:46 AM ET
BY THEHILL.COM10/19/23 12:43 PM ET
BY THEHILL.COM10/18/23 12:27 PM ET
BY LAUREN SFORZA10 HOURS AGO
BY JULIA MANCHESTER9 HOURS AGO
BY ZACH SCHONFELD14 HOURS AGO
BY AL WEAVER20 HOURS AGO
- Gingrich: 8 Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy ‘unleashed furies’ in …
- How each Speaker candidate voted in overturning 2020 election results
- Gingrich says House GOP poses ‘very real danger’ of electing Speaker, then …
- Trump claims Sidney Powell was ‘never’ his attorney following lawyer’s …
- Georgia plea deals spell danger for Trump, co-defendants
- Brazile: Guilty pleas of lawyers in Georgia case means Trump in ‘major …
- Have you been tipping wrong at restaurants? What experts advise
- ‘Where’s the money?’ Biden demanded. The House Oversight Committee just …
- Cheney blames McCarthy for House Speaker havoc
- House chaos forces Senate to take the wheel on spending
- Floodgates open: Here’s who’s running for Speaker as GOP seeks third nominee
- Anti-McCarthy Republicans say they’ll accept conference punishment if …
- Chesebro attorney argues client never believed Trump’s ‘big lie’ of …
- US and other Western nations issue joint statement on Israel’s right to …
- House Republicans look for reset after Jordan loses Speaker fight: recap
- How low can Biden’s approval rating go?
- Supreme Court won’t reinstate Missouri gun law as Thomas dissents
- Leading Democrats need to go to the White House to ask Biden and Harris to step …
DON’T MISS A BRIEF. SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY EMAIL.
- 2024 ELECTIONS
- BRIEFING ROOM
- 12:30 REPORT
- CORONAVIRUS REPORT
- FLOOR ACTION
- IN THE KNOW
- SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
- ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT
- HEALTH CARE
- NATIONAL SECURITY
- ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT
- NATIONAL SECURITY
- SUNDAY SHOWS
Follow Us On
- TERMS & CONDITIONS
- SUBSCRIBE TO PUSH NOTIFICATIONS
- NEXSTAR DIGITAL
- JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY
- DO NOT SELL OR SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION
THE HILL 1625 K STREET, NW SUITE 900 WASHINGTON DC 20006 | 202-628-8500 TEL | 202-628-8503 FAX
© 1998 – 2023 NEXSTAR MEDIA INC. | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.