California Man Contracted Legionnaires’ Disease After Sitting In Hot Tub for Five Minutes; Dies Within Days. Officials Say Spa Was Operating Illegally.
Sun, August 20, 2023 at 10:53 AM MST·2 min read
A Richmond, California, man died after contracting Legionnaires’ disease from sitting in a hot tub at a local spa.
The family of Ronald Oliver said he went to Zen Day Spa on July 19 and sat in the hot tub for five minutes during his visit, KGO-TV reported. He died a few days later from the infection.
“Despite our immediate actions after seeing mold, nine days of battling symptoms at home, and six days in the hospital fighting for his life on life-support, we lost Ronald on August 3,” the caption of a GoFundMe fundraiser created by Oliver’s partner said. “The loss has left our family shattered, but we are determined to honor Ronald’s memory and provide the best possible future for our children.”