Israel-Palestine escalation live: Strikes hit Gaza after Hamas offensive
Video Duration 00 minutes 52 seconds00:52
Published On 7 Oct 20237 Oct 2023
Click here to share on social media
- Israel says it is at “war” after Hamas announced the start of Operation Al-Aqsa Flood against Israel.
- The group running the besieged Gaza Strip says it fired thousands of rockets and sent fighters into Israel.
84 UpdatesAuto updates
- 3m ago (09:48 GMT)Hamas announces capturing a number of Israeli soldiersHamas’ Al-Qassam Brigades has announced capturing a number of Israeli soldiers during their operation “Al-Aqsa Flood”.Click here to share on social media
- 14m ago (09:36 GMT)At least 22 Israelis killed by Hamas attacks: MedicsIsraeli emergency services, quoted by local media, say at least 22 people in Israel have been killed since the start of the attack by Hamas.Israeli medics and security forces treat a man at a site hit by a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip, in Ashkelon [Oren Ziv/AP Photo]Click here to share on social media
- 15m ago (09:35 GMT)Palestinians have right to defend against ‘terror of settlers and occupation troops’: AbbasWe also have the first public statement by Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah, occupied West Bank.Abbas said the Palestinian people have their right to defend themselves against the “terror of settlers and occupation troops”, WAFA news agency quoted him as saying.The Fatah leader chaired an emergency leadership meeting that included civilian and security officials, where he gave instructions to provide protection for Palestinians.Click here to share on social media
- 22m ago (09:28 GMT)UK, Germany and Italy condemn attacks on israelBritain “unequivocally condemns” the surprise attack by Hamas on Israel, UK Foreign Secretary James Cleverly says.“The UK will always support Israel’s right to defend itself,” Cleverly said in a post on social media platform X.German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock says Berlin “firmly condemns the terrorist attacks from Gaza against Israel.”Baerbock said Hamas “contributes to the intensification of violence”, adding that “violence and rockets aimed at innocent people must stop immediately”.Meanwhile, Italy backs “Israel’s right to defend itself” against the “brutal attack” by Hamas.The government said it “condemned in the strongest terms the terror and the violence under way against innocent civilians.”