Russia-Ukraine live news: Kyiv says Kherson to be recaptured soon
Published On 23 Jul 202223 Jul 2022
Click here to share on social media
- Ukraine’s southern region of Kherson will be recaptured by Kyiv’s forces by September, a Ukrainian official has said.
- Russia’s foreign ministry has said it targeted a military boat and weapons delivered by the US in the port of Odesa on Saturday with high-precision long-range missiles.
- 40 minutes ago (15:53 GMT)German industry cuts production due to high energy prices: DIHKA survey of 3,500 companies in Germany has found that 16 percent of them are cutting production, or partially discontinuing business operations, due to soaring energy prices.“These are alarming figures,” said Peter Adrian, President of the Chambers of Industry and Commerce which made the study. “They show how permanently high energy prices are a burden,” he added.Germany is largely dependent on Russian gas to fuel its export-led economy and to keep homes warm. But the nation has been bracing for a possible complete halt in Russian supplies if Moscow steps up its use of gas as an economic weapon against the West while it wages war in Ukraine.
- an hour ago (15:42 GMT)A Canadian citizen died in Ukraine: Foreign ministryA Canadian citizen died in Ukraine, Canada’s foreign ministry spokesperson has said, adding that further details will not be shared due to privacy considerations.“Global Affairs Canada is aware of the death of a Canadian in Ukraine. Consular officials are in contact with the family and are providing consular assistance,” the spokesperson said.This comes a day after also two US citizens were confirmed dead in Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region, according to the US State Department. No further details on the circumstances of their deaths were provided.
- an hour ago (15:26 GMT)Photos: Teachers return to school hit by Russian shellingTeachers have returned to what remained of their school in Bakhmut, Donetsk region, after Russian forces hit the building. Some collected items or cleaned up, while others simply observed the level of destruction.A reporter from the AFP news agency captured these moments.A teacher examines a school destroyed by shelling in Bakhmut, Donetsk region [Igor Tkachev/AFP]Teachers and workers carry out surviving items from their school [Igor Tkachev/AFP]Teachers and workers clean up their school [Igor Tkachev/AFP]
- 2h ago (14:42 GMT)Lavrov offers reassurance over Russian grain supplies in Cairo visitRussia’s top diplomat Sergei Lavrov has offered reassurances over Russian grain supplies to Egypt during his visit to Cairo.“We reaffirmed the commitment of Russian grain exporters to meet all their commitments,” Lavrov said in a press conference with Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry.“We discussed specific parameters of cooperation in this area, agreed on further contacts between the relevant ministries, and we have a common understanding of the causes of the grain crisis,” he added.
59 total views