China warns its military will ‘not sit idly by’ if Pelosi visits Taiwan
Mon, August 1, 2022 at 3:56 AM·1 min read
In this article:
- Nancy PelosiSpeaker of the United States House of Representatives
- Zhao LijianChinese diplomat
BEIJING (Reuters) – China said on Monday that its military “not sit idly by” if U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan.
The latest warning was issued during a Chinese foreign ministry regular briefing. Spokesperson Zhao Lijian also said that because of Pelosi’s status as the “No. 3 official of the U.S. government”, a visit to Taiwan, which China claims as its own, would “lead to egregious political impact”.
Pelosi was set to kick-off a tour of four Asian countries on Monday in Singapore amid intense speculation that she may risk the wrath of Beijing by also visiting self-ruled Taiwan.
(Writing by Eduardo Baptista, Martin Pollard in Beijing, editing by Mark Heinrich)
- TheStreet.comElon Musk Sounds the Alarm on Russia-Ukraine WarThe world’s richest man and arguably also the world’s most influential CEO has had a keen interest in the Russian invasion of Ukraine from the start.2d ago
- ReutersSandy Hook victim’s parents to testify in Alex Jones defamation trialParents of a child killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre are expected to testify on Monday that U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones fueled a campaign of harassment against them by claiming the shooting was a hoax. Jones, founder of the Infowars radio show and webcast, is on trial in Texas to determine how much he must pay for spreading falsehoods about the killing of 20 children and six staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, on Dec. 14, 2012. Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, the parents of slain 6-year-old Jesse Lewis, are seeking as much as $150 million from Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems LLC.2h ago
- Ad•Capital One ShoppingAdPrime Is Now $139, But Few Know This Saving TrickAmazon Prime has millions of subscribers, but only few know about this amazing savings trick!
60 total views